Are you age 65 or older? Would you like to learn more about a program designed to improve how you manage daily tasks? If so, you may be able to take part in a research study that involves working with a rehabilitation specialist to find out if you can improve your ability to perform daily tasks. Most visits can take place at your home. Compensation provided.
As we age, we sometimes experience difficulties and less motivation when completing daily tasks such as finance management, technology use, preparing meals, or medication management. The purpose of this research study is to find out if having regular sessions with a rehabilitation specialist can help improve older adults’ ability to manage such daily tasks. Researchers hope their findings will lead to better ways to support older adults and help them maintain independence for as long as possible.
COULD THIS STUDY BE RIGHT FOR YOU?
• Age 65 or up
• Noticed a change in the ability and/or the motivation to complete daily tasks, for example: finance management, medication management, technology use, preparing meals, shopping, or other tasks
• Want to improve managing daily tasks, for example: finance management, medication management, technology use, preparing meals, shopping, or other tasks
• Have never been diagnosed with a central nervous disorder such as epilepsy, multiple sclerosis (MS), Alzheimer’s disease, or Parkinson’s disease
• Have never been diagnosed with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder
• No substance use disorder within the past year
• Willing and able to undergo PET and MRI scanning (no metal in your body, not claustrophobic, weigh less than 250 pounds)
WHAT PARTICIPANTS CAN EXPECT
This study involves an initial phone call to find out if you are eligible to participate in the study. Eligible participants will have up to 15 sessions over 6 weeks with a rehabilitation professional. Sessions last about one hour and can take place in your home or at another location of your choosing. These sessions will be video-recorded.
Over the course of a year, participants will also complete tests of their moving and thinking abilities, complete questionnaires, wear an activity monitor, and have one PET/MRI scan.
If needed, transportation will be provided at no cost to participants.
IRB:PRO17060298 - Individualized Everyday Activities Plus Neuromolecular Pathways of Rehabilitation (IDEA+NPR)
DURATION: About 1 year
VISITS: Multiple, most in your home
UPMC Presbyterian Hospital & Your Home
Up to $160 + transportation provided at no cost